Sunday, September 03, 2006

What's With Hard-Core Dancing?

As a music-media consumer, I have begun to look into the types of things that attract people to the genre I most commonly associate with. While I have always preferred rock music to most other types, I have more specifically been listening to metal, screamo, and what is referred to as "hard-core" music. While I enjoy the talent and the charisma that these musicians have to offer, I cannot look past some of the interesting styles and personalities that come with the territory.

Last Monday night I attended a local show at The Cave in San Jose. The headliner was Haste the Day, but I was attending to see the band Scary Kids Scaring Kids. The energy was awesome, and the groups sounded great, but what is with the hard-core dancing?! Hard-core dancing, in case you do not know what I am referring to, is a style of "dancing" to metal and other types of hard rock. In many ways it is the new way to mosh. However, as a girl just wanting to hear a killer band, it is a bunch of skinny teenagers with tight pants flailing there arms and legs in a seizure-like motion. I am not going to lie, when this era of dancing began I enjoyed it, and it was entertaining to watch. However, as the pants of these dancers got tighter, the more violent they became. Now, many that once enjoyed hard-core dancing, are nervous to dance in fear that another will knock them out. If we all have a common passion for the music, why are so many people getting removed from shows because of fights that arise from this form of dancing?

When it comes down to it, I guess I would rather the focus revert back to the music, and away from the crazy trends.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been educated today...

But I gotta say, Scary Kids Scaring Kids is a great name for a band.

5:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neither of those bands are hardcore. Listen to No Warning, Guns Up!, Verse, Champion, etc. THAT IS HARDCORE.

9:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home