Monday, September 04, 2006

Stealing or Sharing?

Networking has been a growing industry and a growing debate since 1999 when nineteen year old Shawn Fanning began Napster. There is no doubt that it has changed the industry of music dramatically, allowing hundreds of bands to become one-hit-wonders, rather opening the door for individual bands such as the The Rolling Stones to become epic musical influences of an era. However, from a monetary stand point, is it ethically wrong to share media files among friends or through networking?

Many will debate that sharing networks such as Napster or Kazaa are a new way of distributing and receiving music. In actuality, people have been finding ways to get music without buying albums for years. I still remember waiting near the radio, patiently awaiting the moment when my new favorite song would play. The D.J. would announce it, and I would make my quick dash to the stereo and press record only seconds into the song. Not only did I get my favorite song, but I would also have a compilation of all of my favorite new releases. As far as I see, this is not too far off from my recent downloading of files, and compiling of them into my new choice mix CD titled Jess's Favorites.

It is obvious that the downloading, and selling of today's top artists is an issue of which needed to be addressed. However, is it wrong to download music to get a feel for a band prior to investing in their CD? On another note, is it wrong to get music or movies from friends for personal use? There is no right or wrong answer to this topic. All one can do is use his or her best judgment. With or without growing technology it is something that has been going on for a few decades now. Luckily, sites such as myspace music and pure volume have allowed bands to display music at no cost. It is important to expose each other to new music, and to different types of music. Music is a universal language, and all should have the opportunity to explore it in its entirety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home