Thursday, December 14, 2006

I Pod or No Pod?!

When students leave the classroom they can most commonly be seen on their cell phone, or strapping on their I Pod to hear some tunes between classes. It actually took me quite a bit of time to buy an I Pod, one because of the outrageous prices, and two because I am always worried that as soon as I buy one, they will release a smaller and better one. This past year I finally got the Nano for my birthday, but recently I have noticed myself leaving my I Pod at home, and sticking to the music that can be stored on my phone. With the technology of phones increasing, I am interested to see not if, but how quickly Macintosh’s I Pods will become obsolete.

It is obvious that Macintosh has picked up on this issue considering the new release of the I Pod shuffle that can clip onto your belt or pocket. The only two things Macintosh has to offer are size, and memory. If they continue to make it easier to put videos on the I Pod, they may keep selling product.

However, now phones aren’t the only competition. The Zune has now been released. Many relate it to a Macintosh vs. PC. This Zune is fully equipped with FM radio, and has a 3 inch screen, while the I Pod Video has a 2.5 inch screen. The Zune also allows the sharing of music. One can share music with another Zune wirelessly within thirty feet. Not only does it allow this sharing, but it erases the shared music after three days or three listenings, attempting to control illegal sharing of music. If that does not satisfy your music needs, they also offer a monthly $15 unlimited music downloading service. It is comparable in price, and is also stylish.

It is obvious to say, that if the Macintosh team wants to see the I Pod continue they are going to need innovation!!

1 Comments:

Blogger A.Venegas said...

I've also heard that even in New York City, Zune users are having a hard time finding other Zunes to share with. They just haven't sold enough.

The thing I think is reinvigorating Mac's iPod is video capibilities. I don't know if you've tried it out on your nano(I know it's knot video), but you can upload daily podcasts onto them. And it automatically does it whenever you're charging the thing.

I know I listen to OpenSource and a whole bunch of other NPR stuff in Dwight Bentel everyday.

10:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home