Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"I'll Love you Forever, I'll Like you for Always..."

“I’ll love you forever. I’ll like you for always. As long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.” I can still feel my mom lying in my bed reading her favorite bed-time story to me. Sitting on my shelf at home still lies the same paper back book my mom has reread to me countless amounts of times. As I grow older I anticipate reading from the same book, and one day my child will read it to his or her child.

Because our society has taken such a turn toward technology it is understandable that there would be concern of print becoming obsolete. In my own opinion, I cannot even begin to fathom the idea of this becoming a reality. I find it crucial to have books, study guides, etc in print in order to jot notes, mark pages, leisurely read wherever I please, and much more. Currently, I find myself printing out even journal articles from online sources, simply because I cannot stand reading off of the bright computer background. Similarly, are people going to resort to the computer to read night-time stories to their children or grand children? There are many reasons as such, that lead me to believe that printed sources will not become extinct. However, what if the dollar wins, and people do choose to buy media on CD’s or retrieve them free online?

This has begun to happen, primarily with online journals. I find myself constantly searching through journals online, rather than trekking throughout the Basement of the King Library. When resources become so convenient, one gets “sucked in.” Another great example of this is the SJSU class schedule. While students were so blessed in the past to have an in print copy for only a dollar or so, incoming students only know the world of online class schedules. This, however, was not viewed a convenience. Many students had a fit when this happened, and that was because there was no choice…it was ONLY offered online.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

Aidan or Big? Manolo Blahnik or Jimmy Choo? To Blow or not to blow? Tell us what you prefer and join our Sex and the City presentation group. Contact Kelley or Jessica
We sure could use another Jessica!

8:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home