Friday, December 15, 2006

Books, Newspapers, Games...

Since the beginning of the semester, my media consumption has changed dramatically. I began the semester, transferring into the department from science majors. Needless to say, the only media I was really a part of involved textbooks and journals. I have always been a gamer, but only when time permitted, which was not very often.

Now being in the MCom department, I find it both necessary, and more interesting to be a stronger, more aware media consumer. I have primarily increased my media consumption through reading more magazines and using the internet more often for both entertainment, and as an informational resource. I actually regularly now check the mercury news online more often than I pick up the newspaper. I hate admitting that one, but I have a laptop now, so it is just as convenient as picking up the paper, well…more convenient.

I have also begun my video game playing a little more, because of the Nintendo Wii release, and have enjoyed it very much! Similarly, I have continued to increase my interest and knowledge in music, studying more on the industry, and not just listening to music. I think the recent closing of Tower Records upset me, and really got me thinking.

As for blogging, I have made a definite transformation. I definitely still have work to do to become more aware in the entire blog world, and I have decided to continue with my blog. With more time on my hands during winter break, I look forward to understanding everything even further. Blogging is something I would have never expected to get into recreationally, and I look forward to other great exposures that will only further my learning in the MCom Department.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lilly Buchwitz said...

I'm so glad to hear you want to continue blogging. If you're planning to make a career in P.R., you will have a real edge if you understand the blog world. P.R. and marketing people in the "real world" are struggling with it, and there have been some spectactular failures (most recently the Wal-Mart blogging debacle). So keep perusing the blogosphere and have those critical eyes and ears open. And you'll be a star one day.

9:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home