Monday, September 18, 2006

I can do anything you can do better, I can do anything better than you...

When looking into propaganda and its presence in our society, it is everywhere. Because we have a society based so strongly on advertising and capitalism many marketing campaigns can be construed as propaganda. With the beginning of the school year just passing, and pledging being such a topic in Greek life, I looked into the Greek system, specifically fraternities, as a form of propaganda. Each fraternity house will set up a tent, and explain to anyone who will give them eye contact, how they are the best house on campus. They will have a list of stereotypes to run through when referring to other houses, and this is considered a reliable and unbiased opinion?

On a more specific level, the secrecy among houses feeds into this propaganda. Most houses have a manual and or pledge manual. Pledges are typically required to carry it with them at all times, and if lost or stolen sever punishment is to follow. Within the manual lies the secrets, rituals, history and more about the specific fraternity. Through this manual, and through meetings, glorification of the fraternity occurs. It explains how the specific fraternity has morals and objectives that supersede the other organizations, and how ritual and secrecy is what will make them unified and unique. In my mind the entire thing screams propaganda. The system allows many, not all, individuals to feel a sense of belonging to an organization, while frowning upon other organizations for beliefs that have similar or same bases but cannot be vocally shared.

I hope I was able to word this in a way that conveys my thoughts appropriately. It is all sorted out quite clearly in my mind, but I hope my words were able to live up to my thoughts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

i wasnt here last thursday and i heard that you got everybodys name and email address for our group project. i wasnt sure if you already told Lilly our group, so i thought i would just let you know my email because i guess you emailed everyone...

jazzdancer4@hotmail.com

thanks!!!

9:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home