Thursday, September 28, 2006

Past the Cover...

When looking through the September issue of Cosmo, many things boggled through my mind that had been discussed throughout class. I noticed myself not finding the magazine as interesting as I once had. In this sense I recognized the truth behind the idea of, as we change our taste in magazines changes as well. Also, the concept of reading magazines that seem to be directed toward an older audience, but don’t actually attract that population. Within Cosmo one of the articles was titled Everything you Need to Know About Your Thirties. While women in their thirties may still read cosmo, by no means is that their largest population. I found it interesting that the advertisement just one page over from this article was for Noxema face wash, and one page after that, Pro Active face wash. Correct me if I’m wrong, but many people in their thirties are not dealing with what kind of face wash to use.

Another aspect of this magazine that I noticed, and was almost ashamed of, was its message to women concerning men. It seemed as though every other article was how to please your man, how to get a man, or how to keep a man. The entire magazine was focused on women needing men and women needing to succumb to men to keep them happy or satisfied. Even advertising inferred some of these concepts. There was an advertisement for green apple trident of which two apples were in a bed together. It was slightly humorous, and almost just as disturbing. Although I am nowhere near my thirties, I can sense a change of reading material coming soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home